Sell Your Seoul Trip 2 - Day 1 - The Korea House



To end the evening, I whisked off to The Korea House Theatre in Choongmooro, where my jet-lagged mind was mesmerized by the moves of the traditional dance and music performance. Broken up into eight different sections, this hour-long show was accompanied by flutes, drums, and several string instruments that were played horizontally and plucked by what looked like a really long chopstick. Although I couldn't understand what was being said, I could clearly see how this traditional Korean dance is used, believe it or not, by today's pop stars. You see, about a month ago I attended Saturday Night Live in NYC, where Shakira was the performer. During her song "Did It Again," she and her dancers mimicked a five-drum dance that was exactly identical to the style of the Dance With Five Drums (oh go mu) at the Korea House. I was blown away. So this is where her inspiration came from! Imitation, as they say, is the highest form of flattery.

After the show, I had my pictures snapped with the stars. And then, it was bedtime for me. It's been an action packed day of shopping, eating, and playing. Who knew selling your Seoul could be so much fun?


No comments: