Sell Your Seoul Trip 2 - Day 2 - Jump Theater, Jongno-gu



To wrap out my evening, I experienced some VIP treatment at the Broadway of Seoul. JUMP is a non-verbal comic martial arts performance that won the Edinborough Fringe Festival several years ago. Since then, the performance has toured the world and earned their own theater in the center of Seoul. The story centers on an absolutely insane family. The clan engages in battles with burglars while setting up the daughter with a young man who morphs from a Steve Erkel (with uberdorky glasses) into a gigolo (donning a mesh tank top underneath.) "Where can I buy that tank top?," I thought to myself. I bet my friend Adam would love to rock one of those and spice up his arsenal the classic black.


These actors were insanely flexible and acrobatic. I counted six backflips in a row from the "Mom" and a double backwards tuck off the wall from the "Dad." Without trampolines. Talk about quad muscles! My regular workout team, The Fletcher Athletic Group, really has some catching up to do if we ever want to engage in some martial arts training. I was laughing, amazed, and thoroughly entertained the entire time. The show is without dialogue and so anyone can follow the plot. While I usually find jokes to be the most difficult things to translate, it turns out that humor sans words is universally recognized. This time, my tears were from laughter.

Following the performance, a physical therapist came out to help the actors who were unwrapping their legs and rubbing wounded muscles. Looking that good doesn't come easily! A big thanks to the actors of JUMP for putting themselves through such grueling training and onstage battle purely for our entertainment.

And now, for this little lady, it's lights off. Jetlag jetlag go away, please don't come back another day.


No comments: