Sell Your Seoul Trip 2 - Day 1 - Namdaemun Market


I was relieved to get to Namdaemun Market, which is a huge center for cheap shopping visited by half a million people on a daily basis. You can get everything from women's clothing and accessories to ballerina tutus. With lots of foot traffic, you have to navigate the streets like a local and then pick one of the many restaurants and food stalls in which to dine. Hint: one that is crowded is usually an indication that it is indeed delicious.


As I sat down to eat, I ordered a variety of dishes. One pretty exotic dish that I tried was called "gal chi jo rim," a hair tailed fish boiled in soy sauce with spices. I was ready. As a girl who tends to avoid spicy dishes like the plague, I did my homework before selling my soul. When I found out I'd be coming over here, I started putting hot sauce on everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. I even dashed some in a bowl of New England Clam chowder. How nasty is that? But I wanted my taste buds to be ready for battle. I'm happy I went into training. Aside from being a total moron with my chopsticks, I was able to splice the fish open, remove the bones, and actually enjoy a really spicy piece or two. It was difficult to get to my mouth (sans knife and fork), but once it was there it tasted like a really hot version of tilapia. When I dipped my rice in the spicy sauce, I got a few claps and a huge smile from my Korean crew. "Yes, Yes!" they exclaimed. I am learning to absolutely love the Korean way. The spicier, the better. Bring it on!

Having entered a food coma, I wandered around the market in a daze. Luckily, I'm a pro shopper and can find the best of deals in my sleep. Namdaemun is really well known for selling cheap optical wear. Anybody who knows me is well aware that I have a special place in my heart for cheap (and not-so-cheap) oversized sunglasses. Oliver Peoples, Dolce & Gabbana, Chanel - the frames were flying off the shelves and onto my face faster then I could point out the next pair.



No comments: