Sell Your Seoul Trip 2 - Day 3 - Deoksugung (Palace) - The Palace of Virtuous Longevity



Deok Su Gung. The Palace of Virtuous Longevity. Ever fearful that I will elegantly check-out from this life before my due time, I was eager to visit a place that was built to exude a vibe of continuous survival. I met my volunteer tour guide, Won Hyeon Suk, at the front gates of the grand palace. Sparking emerald ring, fancy fur coat, dangling pearl earrings: I was about to spend an hour with one of my own, a classy broad indeed.


Originally constructed in the 1400s, the palace was the home and head of government for many Kings and Queens during the Joseon Dynasty. As we entered through the main gate, Won Hyeon Suk asked me which path I would like to take across the "forbidden bridge." Made with granite slabs, the center of the path was elevated, with the left side a step down and the right side lowered even further. I have three options: high, middle, or low. For two classy ladies, I figured the high road was appropriate. As I pointed to our path, I was informed that I had selected the way of the royals. "I do believe, young lady, that I was a Queen in a past lifetime," whispered Won Hyeon Suk. "Birds of a feather flock together," I replied, as us two reincarnated monarchs emarked on our palace exploration.

Wooden buildings, a plethora of staircases, pinetree lined pathways, and traditional Korean architecture surrounded us. Twisted trees without leaves overtook the place, and as I saw my breath before me in the absolutely freezing morning air, I imagined the place in the summertime with thick foliage and flowers blossoming throughout the garden. Think warm, Sandy. As the sun began to get higher in the sky, the air warmed just a bit, yet it was not enough. My nose was frozen, my toes were completely numb, and I began to have a mini-panic attack as I remembered all of the horrible frostbite stories from a book I recently read about mountain climbers. Sure, I'm not 24,000 feet in the air, but the wind is blowing and the air is sharp in my lungs. Wiggle toes. Please wiggle. Is there a nip of whiskey in my backpack? Someone save me from this freezing cold. "I can't remember what I was saying...because my brain is too cold," says Won Hyeon Suk. Yes indeed, the royal family is on the same page.

At the end of the tour, Won Hyeon Suk and I watched the changing of the guards in front of Deok Su Gung's main gates. It was a spectacular performance: music, vibrant costumes, and overall an elaborate ceremony. We even had our pictures snapped with a guard clad in traditional Joseon fashion!


No comments: