Sell Your Seoul Trip 2 - Day 2 - Seoul Folk Flea Market



Another neighborhood, another market to explore. Belly full of bimimbap, I landed in front of the Seoul Folk Flea Market. This is the largest second-hand market in Korea and is fairly new on the scene. The two-story building is filled to the brim with sundry goods, refurbished cameras, old school radios, musical instruments, and some pretty ugly sweaters. From one aisle to the next, a new (yet most likely old) toy was to be discovered. I strummed a guitar, played with a classic Polaroid camera, and even bought a really unique yellow flower ring for only $25. It's a little too big for my skinny fingers, but the vendor who sold it to me is going to adjust it free of charge. How great is that?


At one point, we were attacked by a man who wanted our videocamera off. IMMEDIATELY. His intensity was a little unnerving and so I asked my lovely team exactly why he was so adamantly against the cameras. As it turns out, the man is wanted by the mafia of a to-go-unidentified Asian nation and has sought asylum in the plethora of randomness that is the Seoul Folk Flea Market. Not wanting to blow up his hiding spot, I left the man in peace and continued on my journey.

Other than expanding my cocktail ring collection, the highlight of this market was finding a man commanding a tower of honeycombs and a boiling pot of water at an unassuming corner. Knowing my deep love and appreciation for the sweet nectar that is honey, my friend Kyung Il bought me a honey tea. The vendor cut some honey comb, added hot water, strained it a few times, and passed me the cup. Bits of honeycomb and gobs of the sweet goo were so fresh and sweet. Such a cold day, such a warm gesture.




No comments: