Sell Your Seoul Trip 2 - Day 3 - Arirang International Taekwondo Club



I was relieved to sit down. The cramp abated and we did a whole bunch of stretching and strength building poses. Want me to bring my ankle to my head? Sure! My friends don't call me Superbendy for nothing. At one instance, I was partnered with a guy wearing a white belt, just like me! The white belt indicates novice, so I was pretty sure we would be on the same page. Boy was I wrong. This was the MOST flexible man I've ever encountered. He had me stand on his knees and push his body forward and down to open his hips. And then I found us foot to foot, full split, hands interlocked, and his head near my crotch. All of a sudden, I'm very uncomfortable. What kind of odd sexual position is this!? Luckily, my fellow "white belt" was a complete gentleman.


We do some standing kicks and general maneuvers. And then the instructor pulls me aside and makes everyone sit in a circle. "Our new friend Sandy will break a piece of wood...with her fist." Say WHAT!? I may be flexible, but I am not strong. I mean, just last week my friend Adam gave me a giant can of whey protein because he thinks I'm too weak. "Have you done this before?," I ask the girl next to me. "Of course! You'll be fine." Please choose that thin piece of wood...PLEASE. NOPE! The instructor grabs a piece of wood about an inch thick and explains how to break it in two. Go through the wood, Sandy. Don't break your hand. One. Two. Three. HIYAAAAA! My freakish inner strength came through and I smashed that board in two. I'm not gonna lie, my hand was throbbing for a good two minutes. Yet once again, I surprised myself. First try and it was a great success! In the locker room after class, the girl who told me "I'd be fine" confesses she's actually never done it the way I did. Apparently, I started with an advanced maneauver. Thank goodness she told me she had, othrwise I would have been petrified. False confidence is better than no confidence. Gam sa hap nee da, my friend.

The class culminated with a belt awarding ceremony. My white-belted partner was honored with a black belt. This dude is a pro and had to prove his skills to the studio before receiving this school's specific black belt. Ah, mystery solved.

It's been a really long day of war and combat. My heart, head, and hand all ache. Thank you Seoul, for opening your soul to me. As the Jerry Garcia once sang, once and a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

No comments: