Sell Your Seoul Trip 3 - Day 6 - Noryangjin Fish Market



The Noryangin fish market is HUGE! It's 66,000 square meters of the craziest fish you've ever seen and never seen. You can visit the market at normal hours, but between 1-3am is when it's most alive. This is when they unload the day's catch and fire up the auctions.


I've been to auctions before and I don't understand a word the motor mouth auctioneers spew out. Same thing in Korea, didn't understand a thing...not a great place to for a beginner to practice their Korean comprehension. Good thing I wasn't in the market for 500 pounds of Sea bass or I would have been screwed.

On the opposite side of the auction block were tanks full of live octopus, crabs, Sea horses and strange creatures I'd only seen on the Discovery Channel. It was like a giant zoo, a zoo where you can pick out your favorite animal, take it home and eat it. I can imagine kids pleading with their parents, "Mommy mommy, I want that cute pink squid, can I have it please?"

The market isn't heated and after an hour I was feeling like a frozen fish stick. It was time to return to my warm bed.

No comments: