Sell Your Seoul Trip 2 - Day 5 - Bongeunsa (Temple Life), Gangnam



Seoul beautifully balances the traditional with the modern. Bongeun-Sa temple is smack dab across the street from the COEX building, one of the biggest shopping malls I've seen outside of the U.S. First opened in 794, Bongeun-sa was once the center of Korean Buddhism. Today, it remains a popular place to pray and meditate.


After walking around and getting a feel for the intricate art and Korean architecture, I had the pleasure of participating in a traditional tea ceremony and meditation. The entire process was slow and deliberate, intended to bring peace to the mind and calm our inner thoughts. I rotated around on my pillow to face the big Buddha in the room. Led by a Buddhist monk, the meditation lesson involved several sun salutations and sitting in a special cross-legged position. Once again my flexibility proved an advantage. While other Westerners in the room struggled to position their legs, I closed my eyes and fell into an immediate trance. I need this peace. Quiet your thoughts, Sandy. Let your mind rest. And believe me, it rested. When the monk hit his wooden instrument, I was startled out of sleep. This is the only time I have ever successfully slept sitting up. I'm sure slumber isn't the intention of meditation practice, but clearly it was what my body and mind needed. As we would say in yoga, Namaste.

No comments: