Sell Your Seoul Trip 3 - Day 6 - Hong Eoga Makgeolli Manaseltte (Sting Rays with Rice Wine)



This evening's dinner was, well, I have no polite way to say this so I'll just say it, disgusting! Sang in wanted me to try something crazy so he ordered up a platter of Sting Ray. The plate looked appetizing enough with pretty rows of small pink chunks lined up like sushi. The smell however was horrific! I gagged as I put the meat to my nose; it smelled of pure ammonia and reminded me of lawn fertilizer. After 1.7 seconds in my mouth I knew I was in trouble. The crunchy bones made me want to gag and the tough, gummy meat was almost impossible to force down.


It didn't help that Sang in and Lee were laughing their asses off while I squirmed around in my seat. I'm not a quitter though and finally swallowed it. I quickly washed it down with some Makgeoli (rice wine) and was once again a happy boy.

It brought great joy to my face when Sang in went through the same uncomfortable procedure when he put this wretched food into his mouth. HA HA!

Now it was onto something more civilized, a harmless pancake. Or at least I thought it was harmless until I found bits of Squid tentacle in my dough. It wasn't bad though, a thousand times more edible than Sting Ray.

On my way out the door the waiter chased me down with a spray bottle. It totally caught off guard but it turns out it was just Febreeze. He was just masking my fishy smell so I wouldn't pollute the clean air of Seoul. Maybe I should do this with all my clothes from now on...it would save a trip to the laundry mat

No comments: