Sell Your Seoul Trip 2 - Day 5 - COEX Kimchi Museum, Gangnamgu



Well aware that I strive for the perfect balance of rest and play, the masterminds of Sell Your Seoul decided it was time to entertain my goofy side. Across the street and underground, I entered the COEX Mall, home to my next two destinations. First stop: the Kimchi Museum. A comprehensive overview of the food's history, ingredients, and effects are displayed throughout. The smell of pickled cabbage hit me the second I stepped through the door. Kimchi is the staple Korean food. Used as a side dish, it accompanies almost every meal one will encounter in the country. Since I love pickles, it was clear to me that I would probably enjoy the taste of pickled cabbage. The smell, however, is a different story.


Listen up hypochondriacs: kimchi is touted as an anti-aging anti-oxidant that helps prevent cancer and reduce stress. The next Omega-3 Fish Oil? It's possible. For $7 USD, you can even make your own! I donned a vibrantly colored apron and followed the lead of my Korean chef, Shin Soo Jee. The pickled cabbage was heavy and wielding the knife proved difficult. As I've told you before, I'm no chef. I just tend to date them.

Yet the highlight of the process was when I got to dump the terribly chopped green onions and radishes into the prepared chili paste and mix it up. With my hands. I felt like a little kid in science class playing with goo. This is what brains must feel like, I thought to myself.

My inner kid was officially released. It was time to romp around the COEX Mall. This place is paradise for the non-bargain shopper. They have absolutely everything and more, from fancy clothing outlets and electronics stores to bakeries and a dental hospital! If you chip your tooth while shopping, convenience is just around the corner. This place is spacious and modern and I couldn't believe it was right across the street from Bongeun-Sa. Clearly I have an appreciation for large and fancy shopping malls. I guess you can take the girl off of Long Island, but you can never really take Long Island out of the girl.

No comments: