Sell Your Seoul Trip 2 - Day 5 - National Museum of Korea



The itinerary reads National Museum of Korea. I hail a taxi, open up my map, and say "rook rib joong ang bak mool gwan ga joo se yo" in the most terrible Korean one could imagine. This is hard and I'm embarrassed! By the look on his face, he clearly didn't understand. I am not surprised and so I repeat, "rook rib joong ang bak mool gwan go joo see yo." "AHHH!," says the driver, and we are on our way. Only time will tell if he did indeed understand my sloppy attempt at giving directions. I glared at Sang In. How could he do this to me?


Crossing the Han River, I follow along on my map. It appears we are headed in the right direction! Ten minutes later I am in the grand and sunny rotunda of the National Museum of Korea. This place is filled to the brim with Korean artifacts, from pre-historic times through the Joseon Dynasty. Romping around the place, I found a slew of national treasures. Literally, almost everything in here is labeled "National Treasure #(Insert Number of Choice Here)." One of my favorites was National Treasure #904, a bronze helmet that I myself could find very useful since I recently developed this proclivity for bashing my head into inanimate objects. Large-scale Buddhist sculptures, an amazing Silla kingdom gold crown, a ten-story pagoda, and the largest elevator I've ever seen are all inside this immaculate three-story museum. There is so much to see, my inner Indiana Jones could have spent a whole day exploring this place.

No comments: